Nothing beats the egg for economy and versatility, but also alchemy — its ability to make a meal from a few pantry items is more than welcome this time of year. With chicken stock in the freezer, flour in the cupboard or a few bits of cheese or bacon, dinner’s on the table. The bonus? Egg’s health rep has been re-established and it’s a terrific source of inexpensive protein. Try the following recipes for a weeknight dinner, an elegant brunch or Saturday morning fry-up; nothing beats an egg.
- The Bothy Scotch eggs
- Braised eggs with lamb, tahini and sumac
- Shakshuka (eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce)
Eggs in soup
Got eggs? Got chicken stock? Got a hunk of cheese and some sorry-looking parsley in the crisper? You’ve got dinner.
- Stracciatella (roman egg-drop soup)
- Egg drop soup
- Chinese egg dumplings (dan jiao) for chinese new year
- Creamy Indian spiced egg curry